Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Give Peas a Chance

I may be the only person on the planet that didn't know about today's subject,but since I was alive in the 60s that could explain my lack of knowledge or memory of it. What I am talking about is the Peace Sign/Symbol. It was created in 1958 by a British artist who intended the design to be a symbol for Direct Action Committee Against Nuclear War (DAC). The design is a circle with the lines within it representing the position of two semaphore letters. The letters "N" and "D" were used to represent "nuclear disarmament". The "N" is formed by a person holding a flag in each hand and pointing them at the ground at a 45 degree angle. The "D" is formed by holding one flag straight up and one flag straight down. In Britain,the symbol became the emblem for the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament. In 1960 it migrated to the U.S. and began to be used as a symbol for the peace movement. To think of all the peace symbols I wore and drew and I'm just now finding out the origin...shameful!
Peace symbol drawn in sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment