Friday, April 24, 2015

Real Fakes

I didn't realize that standardized patients aka simulated patients,sample patients or SPs for short actually existed,and in my defense maybe they don't in this area. Until recently the only time I had heard of SP was on an episode of Seinfeld,where Kramer gets a job as an SP,then a few days ago I heard about it being a real job and had to check it out. Pretty interesting stuff,the pay is $15 and hour and there is some training involved (I feel the need to mention I didn't see anywhere whether or not the job included medical coverage,and found that slightly ironic). The SP learns how consistently portray healthcare problems then evaluate the doctors in training. It seems to me that it would be better to work with real patients as the symptoms can vary greatly with different medical problems and you wouldn't want a doctor to be to get the idea that the symptoms of any ailment were cast in stone,which could cause them to miss a diagnosis in a future patient, of course that is just my opinion and I am not the most trusting of patients when it comes to doctoring!

No comments:

Post a Comment