Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Love Them or Hate Them Thing?

Does anyone/everyone remember the Spongmonkeys? I don't but I hadn't retired yet when they were a sensation/horror. I was somewhat fascinated by an article about them as I often am about advertising gimmicks. The name is a portmanteau word from spong (which I didn't even know was a word) which means to add large staring eyes with small pupils to an image and of course the word monkey. They were created by a writer/animator one night after he and his brother returned from the pub, made up a song,"We Like the Moon" and recorded it. Quiznos picked it up and it was a featured ad in the 2004 Super Bowl. The Spongmonkeys also made Time Magazines Top 10 creepiest mascots. I'm not sure if this is relevant but Quiznos filed Chapter 11 in 2014 and were down to 800 stores worldwide by 2018.



No comments:

Post a Comment