Monday, May 23, 2016

Not Loco

On my recent trip I read in the in flight magazine that Loco Moco wasn't an authentic Hawaiian dish. This might not seem like big news to some of you but Loco Moco is part of the  Hawaii experience and is uniquely part of their cuisine. Personally I think it qualifies as it was invented on the Big Island around 1949 by one of two places, Cafe 100 or Lincoln Grill. According to the story a group of teenagers wanted something other than American or Asian food for breakfast and in an attempt to fill the kids up they came up with a mountain of rice,burger patty,gravy and two eggs to top it off. The name comes from the nickname (Loco) of the first boy to try the concoction and the word moco because it rhymed with Loco. I don't think I took a picture of my Loco Moco this time but I may have one from my last trip,if so it will be the first one pictured below.
Loco Moco Plate

No comments:

Post a Comment