Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Until the Fat Lady Sings

The title of today's post pretty much sums up what I know about opera though that didn't stop me from finding humor in some quotes about opera.
"I do not mind what language an opera is sung in so long as it is a language I don't understand."
Edward Appleton
"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back,and instead of dying,he sings."
Robert Benchley
"Opera is a sham art. Large,plain,middle aged women galumph around posing as pretty young girls singing to portly,plain,middle aged men posing as handsome young heroes."
Woodrow Wyatt
"Going to the opera,like getting drunk,is a sin that carries its own punishment with it."
Hannah More
"Oh,how wonderful,really wonderful,opera would be if there were no singers!"
Gioacchino Rossini
"I like this opera crowd. I feel tough."
Jerry Seinfeld
It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings


No comments:

Post a Comment