Sunday, February 2, 2020

Scary Thought

I've always enjoyed Groundhog Day as a whimsical event in the dead of winter to give hope for the coming spring but with everything that has happened with the current administration it makes me wonder if some people celebrate the day in a more serious way. Maybe I'm just becoming cynical after hearing the science deniers claiming there isn't anything to worry about,no such thing as global warming and all their other nonsensical statements but this year it struck me that these same people believe more in an animal's ability to predict weather than they do actual science,I really hope I'm wrong. At any rate Phil (the groundhog) for the 20th time in the 134 history of groundhog predictions didn't see his shadow indicating spring will be here sooner rather than later. I wonder if he said anything about the health of the planet?
A.J. Dererume, the Groundhog Club Inner Circle member and handler, raises Punxsutawney Phil after the groundhog emerged from his burrow during the Groundhog Day celebration Sunday at Gobblers Knob in Punxsutawney, Pa. Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow and predicted an early spring. Photo by David Mitchell/EPA-EFE

No comments:

Post a Comment