Wednesday, June 8, 2022

State Nicknames

 After yesterday's post on city nicknames I got a trivia email about state nicknames,it's almost as if "they" know what I'm up to! I think most of them were pretty obvious but two had interesting tidbits I wanted to share. Connecticut is called The Constitution State which seems odd until the back story is known. Before the Constitution was written the Connecticut Colony laid the groundwork with the Fundamental Orders 1638-39 which were the first written rules of government. 

Next on the interesting nicknames is Ohio,The Buckeye State named for the native buckeye tree which bears nuts resembling the eyes of a male deer. Maybe everyone else knew this one but I didn't. This post was meant for yesterday but there was a power outage so it was delayed. 




No comments:

Post a Comment