Sunday, December 23, 2012

Boo-Hoo?

Did you know Casper the Friendly Ghost had three uncles called the Ghostly Trio? I didn't remember this but after it simmering on the back burner for a few days I decided maybe I did remember...it was power of suggestion as the Ghostly Trio wasn't introduced until 1995 in the film entitled "Casper".
There is a lot I either never knew or didn't remember about Casper. I never knew there was controversy over him being a dead child,I assumed as much since he was smaller than the other ghosts and only wanted to make friends instead of scare people. To end the debate Harvey Comics provided an answer,Casper was a ghost because his parents were already ghosts when they were married. I also didn't notice he had a New York accent. Initially Casper was depicted as portly with no feet,but was later slimmed down and feet were added. A back story for Casper was constructed in the film as well. Casper was a 12 year old boy living in Whipstaff Manor with his father,inventor J.T. McFadden until he died of pneumonia after playing in the cold until dark.
Another Casper claim to fame was his apearances on "Matty's (Mattel's) Funday Funnies" which introduced the Barbie doll in 1959.
Casper-theresgoodboostonight1948.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment