Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Speaking of Dogs

In my quest to learn something new everyday I sometimes page through a giant book of trivia. Yesterday I found an entry that qualified as something I didn't know,but it seemed to be of dubious nature when I tried to verify it. The book stated that Paul Bunyan's dog's name was Fido. My first thought was "Paul Bunyan had a dog?" For you regular readers you will recall that Abe Lincoln's dog's name was Fido,which I thought was an odd coincidence (for those of you with suspicious natures feel free to add,"There are no coincidences.")
Time to get down to the meat of the subject. Babe the Blue Ox was the most mentioned of Paul Bunyan's pets,but he also had a cow named Lucy,an unusual animal in her own right,an male ox named Benny,Elmer the moose terrier (he would fetch a moose on command), and Sport the reversible dog. The story of Sport varies but the agreed outcome is he was accidentally cut in half and quickly sewn back together so that his front legs were in the proper position but the hind legs pointed straight up. Legend says it proved to be an advantage as he would run on one set until he was tired,then flop over and run on the other pair. I found no mention of a dog or any pet of Paul's named Fido,which goes to prove the old adage "Don't believe everything you read"!
sport

No comments:

Post a Comment