Monday, December 10, 2012

Winos Unite! (or is that untie?)

Today's blog is dedicated to my newest follower (not to mention any names,Willa!). All it took was saying "Thank you for your support" and my mind raced off to where that line had come from. As I went about my morning tasks I could almost picture the speaker behind that line,and at first thought it had come from a beer commercial...I was almost right!
From 1985-1991 Frank Bartles and Ed Jaymes sat on their front porch and related messages about the delicious alcoholic beverage which bore their names "Bartles & Jaymes Premium Wine Cooler".
Frank (in a fedora) did all the talking while Ed (in a baseball cape) listened quietly to his partner and the reasons people should drink their wine coolers. At the conclusion of each commercial,Frank politely said, "and thank you for your support."
The Frank and Ed spots were created for Gallo Wines. An example of a typical spot: "Hello there. My name is Fred Bartles and this is Ed Jaymes. You know,it occurred to Ed the other day that between his fruit orchard and my premium grade wine vineyard,we could make a truly superior grade wine cooler. It sounded good to me. So Ed took out a second on his house and wrote to Harvard for an MBA,and now we're preparing to enter the wine cooler business. We will try to keep you posted on how it's going. And thank you for your support."
When President Bush's 19 year old twin daughters Jenna and Barbara were cited for underage alcohol offenses,Jay Leno,host of The Tonight Show,dubbed them Bartles& Jaymes,with an "Anheuser" Bush chaser.

No comments:

Post a Comment