Monday, February 17, 2014

Chew On This

I don't really remember if the Tooth Fairy was a tradition practiced in my family. I imagine it might have been something done for the first few teeth and I have forgotten about it over the years. The Tooth Fairy has never seemed believable to me,it had even less credibility than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny,until I read about the Tooth Fairy traditions in other countries. In most Spanish speaking countries (also Italy and France) the Tooth Fairy is a mouse,not only do I find it easier to accept a mouse creeping into a childs room and absconding with a tooth,but it also a nice coincidence that rodent teeth never stop growing. In the Middle East when a child loses a tooth they toss it into the sky and request a better tooth to replace it. In some Asian countries they throw the tooth from the upper jaw onto a roof,the lower jaw onto the floor asking for the newly lost tooth to be replaced with the tooth of a mouse. From what I found most of the traditions originated from a story about a white mouse that gathered lost teeth,no idea how that morphed into a fairy in our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment