Wednesday, February 12, 2014

* Feed Your Head

Serendipity has struck again,or is that redundant? In the last couple of days I have happened upon two different references to dormice being a delicacy. I kept thinking that there wouldn't be much to enjoy due to their small size. They aren't very big (only 5 1/2-7 1/2 inches in body plus their squirrel like tails) but they almost double in weight prior to hibernation. I imagine what meat there is on them is very tasty as they feed mainly on nuts and berries. The ancient Romans (I think I also read the ancient Greeks) enjoyed them as snacks but dormice are still consumed today in Slovenia. As you can see from the photos they are quite cute,but before anyone goes into an animal rights frenzy stop and ask yourself one question...are you a vegetarian?
* Lyrics for Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit" (what the dormouse said,feed your head)
Dormouse sleeping - Tom Chalmers - Tom Chalmers

No comments:

Post a Comment