Friday, April 11, 2014

St. Who?

Maybe I am ignorant when it comes to some of the lesser known saints,but before I begin,how many of you have heard of St. Denis? It seems like every time I think I have heard or read about every saint possible another saint shows up. St. Denis of Paris is an interesting guy for a couple of reasons,after having his head chopped off he picked it up and walked 6 miles preaching a sermon the whole way (we've all known preachers like that!). Denis and his buddies Rusticus (let's call him Rusty) and Eleutheruis were buried on the site of his beheading where a basilica was later erected in his name. Considering what you know about Denis up to this point what would your guess be for him to be the patron saint of? I would guess neck pain,or maybe the ability to speak under pressure,or even not losing your head would be a logical guess. All those are wrong...St. Denis is the patron saint of headaches,diabolical possession,frenzy,strife,and hydrophobia. If you wish to honor St.Denis, October 9th is his feast day...I found no mention of the typical feast meal for St. Denis,so enjoy at your own risk.

Saintdenis.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment