Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Say What?

Hearing idioms expressed in different languages not only gives a brief glimpse into the culture of other countries it can also be good for a laugh. Here are some examples with their English equivalents,use at your own risk: Chinese,breathing through the same nostril= English,singing from the same hymn sheet (sounds a lot like being on the same page). Dutch,I sweat carrots=I'm sweating like a * pig. Esperanto,He sits in the forest and doesn't see the trees= he can't see the wood (forest) for the trees. Estonian,to make an elephant out of a gnat,Finnish,to make a bull out of a fly= to make a mountain out of a molehill. French,to have long teeth= to be ambitious (I always understood being long in the tooth to mean old!) German,I'll squeeze my thumbs for you=I'll keep my fingers crossed. Italian,that kid's got liver=that kid's got heart. I thought this would be a fun little diversion for the day,I hope you enjoyed.
Pigs actually have very few sweat glands which is the reason the wallow in mud or water to keep cool.
pig in mud

No comments:

Post a Comment