Friday, September 5, 2014

Out of the Blue

Before I get started with today's post I need to say that I am curious how the phrase "out of the blue" originated,but I will explore that another time. Earlier today,for no apparent reason,the phrase "gussied up" popped into my mind and I decided I would look it up as I have wondered about it in the past...here's what I found. The is no exact claim to the origin but it became popular as recently as the 1950s and was thought to be related to an effeminate man named Augusta or Augustus who dressed in a showy fashion. Gussie was also a 19th century Scottish word for swine. The final explanation of the phrase relates to an American tennis player,Gertrude Agusta Moran aka "Gorgeous Gussie" after she wore frilly panties at the 1949 Wimbledon tennis tournament. Now you'll know what you're working with next time you decide to get "gussied up"!

No comments:

Post a Comment