Monday, August 26, 2019

Not That Nike

The word Nike is not primarily the name of an athletic shoe/clothing brand though that is probably the first thing anyone thinks today. First Nike was the Greek goddess of strength,speed and victory,then in the cold war days Nike was the name of around 300 missile sites around the US and parts of Europe. I had either forgotten the name of these sites or maybe I never knew they had a name but the plot of a book I'm reading is centered around people who grew up around one of the missile sites. It's odd how even after all those years I can still remember the fear I felt as a child during the cold war,this book even mentions the duck and cover drills they made the children do as if a child's school desk would be any protection from a nuclear blast. I so hope those days are behind us forever.



No comments:

Post a Comment