Friday, May 25, 2012

Caw,Caw

I have always been fascinated by crows,the neighbors once commented on how the crows would come and sit near me when I am outside and they wanted to know what I did to attract the birds. I told them I didn't do anything special,I just mainly talked to them. After watching one get into a closed garbage can yesterday I decided it was time to take a closer look at these clever birds.
The first thing that came to my attention was  crows can recognize individual people,they can pick a person out of a crowd,follow them and remember them for years,but people can't tell one crow from another. If you alienate a crow it will also harass you along with its family for a long time. Crows are also very aggressive,I have witnessed them chasing eagles. They seem quite brutal when they are feeding their young,in fact it looks and sounds like they are choking them,but to give them credit at the point I see them doing this you can't tell the young from the adults. They also not only use tools, they adapt items to use for different purposes,and teach each other what they have learned. Crows are also one of the few species that have not only adapted but thrived as the human population grows and takes over more of their natural habitat.American Crow PhotoAdult

No comments:

Post a Comment