Monday, May 28, 2012

In the Beginning...

A question on Millionaire last week asked, "what the original lyrics to The Beatles song "Yesterday" were." I hadn't a clue,but the answer was "Scrambled Eggs".
 McCartney composed the entire melody in a dream but was then afraid he had subconsciously plagiarised someone else's work. For about a month he went around to people in the music business asking if they had ever heard it before. Once he was sure he hadn't robbed anyone of the melody he began writing lyrics to suit it. As Lennon and McCartney were known to do at the time,a substitute working lyric titled "Scrambled Eggs" was used. The opening verse was "Scrambled eggs/Oh,my baby how I love your legs" was used until something more suitable was written. According to Paul's girlfriend at the time (Jane Asher) the original lyrics were:
Scrambled eggs
Have an omelet with some muenster cheese.
Put your dishes in the wash bin please so I can clean the scrambled eggs.
Join me,do
There are lots of eggs for me and you
I've got ham and cheese and bacon too
so go get two and join me,do.
Fried or sunny-side
just aren't right. The mix-bowl begs.
Quick-go get a pan
and we'll scram-ble up some eggs,eggs,eggs,eggs.
Scrambled eggs
good for breakfast dinnertime or brunch
and we'll have lunch
on scrambled eggs.
"Yesterday" was released in the U.S. as a single before it was released in the U.K. as The Beatles didn't feel it fit their image.
I don't know about the rest of you,but from now on every time I hear "Yesterday" I will think "Scrambled Eggs".

1 comment:

  1. I knew about the title Scrambled Eggs, but not that they had written a whole set of lyrics - awesome!

    ReplyDelete