Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Saddle Up?

Ever wonder what the saddle like enclosures used on elephants were called? I happened to come across it in my never ending trivia quest and thought it was noteworthy.
A howdah,or houdah,also know as hahti howdah,is a carriage used on elephants and sometimes camels,used most often in the past to carry wealthy people or in hunting and warfare. It was also a symbol of wealth and was decorated with expensive gems.
In present time,howdahs are mainly used for tourist or commercial purposes. They are the subject of controversy as animal rights groups openly criticize their use,citing how they can cause permanent damage to an elephants spine,lungs and other organs.
I have rode on both an elephant and a camel,the elephant was bareback with two friends (both now deceased),the camel had some sort of a saddle but nothing you would call a howdah. Both animals really swayed a lot when they moved and it was kind of tricky to stay on them compared to horses. I have pictures of me on both,but they aren't on the computer and I am not sure where the one with the elephant is,I might have to do some digging!

1 comment:

  1. I too rode an elephant without said howdah/houdah as a young child. I remember how rough their skin was and the awkward feel of their gait. How did I get to ride an elephant you ask? Well....there was a circus in town (back in the 60's) and one of their elephants was in the parking lot of a grocery store in Salem (I can't remember why). My dad was employed there and he managed to arrange a short little ride for my siblings and myself. My mother has the picture somewhere.

    ReplyDelete