Friday, October 17, 2014

Here's the Key

The book I'm reading starts out in Key West,Florida which reminded me that when I was there sometime in the 1990's I had wondered why it was named Key West when it is the southernmost city in the US and I don't know for sure if there is another spot further east but weird as it sounds I think Alaska might hold that distinction. Okay,back to the question at hand,why Key West? Many of the early explorers were Spanish and Key West was named by a Spaniard (Keyo Weso) which means Bone Island. It was a communal cemetery and was littered with human remains. The island was the westernmost Key with fresh water,so when it was translated to English is became Key West. It still doesn't seem right to me,but I doubt they will change the name just to please me!
 Fort Jefferson
Hemingway House
Hemingway's Key West home
Key West Sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment