Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bearing Most of It

I could have sworn that I wrote a blog a while back about how silly the phrase sleeping like a baby was (who wants to wake up with wet pants several times a night,and or hungry) but I went back through my blogs and didn't find it. Who knows? Maybe I dreamt it,I have dreamt stranger things in my time.
I was going to reference that blog partly to explain today's blog as what I thought I had said was I would rather sleep like a bear than a baby,you just sleep straight through the whole winter,no need to eat or go to the bathroom and for the bonus you wake up and it is spring! It seems as though I was on to something. Scientist have studied hibernation in hopes to apply it to humans for deep space travel. One of the amazing things about bears hibernating is that when the bear wakes up it is not in the least bit atrophied from it's long sleep. Humans would lose bone density and mass and never mind loss of  muscle tone. It would also be beneficial in the medical field for some injuries that require more sleeping time to allow the patients time to heal.
A three-month-old black bear cub along with its hibernating mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment