Friday, September 21, 2012

A Word on Holders

Have you ever wondered what to call the holder for cups of coffee from a fast food restaurant or espresso shop? It is called a zarf,I believe the word can also be used for your vehicle's beverage holders.
Originally zarfs were made to hold the small coffee cup without a handle known as demitasse or fincan. The serving of coffee in Turkey around the 13th century was a complex ritual that the zarf played a part in. The small cups were placed in zarfs to protect the hands of the drinker from the hot liquid. They were often quite ornamental and made from a variety of materials,silver,gold,copper,brass,ivory,ebony,hardwoods,bone,and tortoiseshell. Some were also engraved or set with gems or precious stones.
I have no idea where I came across the word zarf,it was just on one of my many note pads that I make notes on things that I want to check into when I get a second. It was my handwriting but I haven't a clue where I heard or seen the word. Life is just one mystery after another!

No comments:

Post a Comment