Friday, September 7, 2012

Call Me Ignorant,but...

I may be the only one on the planet to not have had this knowledge until today,but if not now you will know too.
My earliest thoughts on fireweed were introduced to me by my mother. She told me it was called fireweed because of its color,it is entirely possible that I had already asked too many questions that day and that was the first answer that came to her mind. After reading the "Earth's Children" series of books I decided that fireweed must be the plant that they collected the fluff from for tinder to start their fires,and it may have been. I still hadn't thought to actually look it up at any time I was near the computer...until today. The east wind is blowing today and the fireweed plants at the dead end of my block were creating a fluff storm (similar in appearance to a snow storm). Prompted by the sight of all that fluff blowing around I sat down to finally find the truth about fireweed.
Fireweed derives its name from its tendency to quickly colonize burn sites after forest fires. Plants continue to grow and flower as long as there is open space and light,as trees and brush grow the plants die out,but the seeds remain viable for many years until a new fire of disturbance opens the ground up to light and the seeds germinate again. In different cultures the fireweed has diverse uses,from herbal remedies,teas,to even candies and honey.
Vrbica3.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment