Friday, February 15, 2013

Creepy!

One look at these guys and my first thought was sci-fi movie. They look somewhat like a jellyfish,but  apparently the similarity ends there. They are called salps and have been washing up on beaches in Washington (north of where I am located) and showing up in crab pots and fishing nets. They are from more southern warmer waters and are thought to be here as a result of climate changes. I wonder if they could be here as result of some other ocean disturbance but at this time the experts aren't too concerned. In 2002, I believe it was, they washed up on Oregon beaches,but didn't cause any further problems at that time.
I have been meaning to mention for over a week that I have had my first Pussy Willow sighting,as you long time readers will recall they are my official harbinger of spring. I also saw an eagle in an Alder tree about an hour ago while I was out for a walk,I don't often see them that close to the ground,and hear them more often that see them so that was a treat.
Odd creature showing up on NW coast

No comments:

Post a Comment