Sunday, January 5, 2014

Fly Away Home

As I was dressing this morning I noticed a ladybug on the wall of my bedroom and it was all downhill from there. I have been trying to retrace my steps to figure out where I read about ladybug infestations,but so far no luck with that. I did find several articles about ladybugs and the reasons they get into houses. It seems to happen mostly in the southern states in the fall of particularly wet years. Some people get overly excited by the infestations,but they usually disappear on their own in a few days, if you feel the need you can vacuum them up in a bag-less vacuum and release them outside. If you smash them they will leave yellow stains.   Call me ignorant but I never realized there were so many different configurations of the little beetles. There are about 500 different kinds in the U.S. and nearly 5,000 world wide. Their colors range from reds,yellows,orange,gray,black,brown and even pink. I have often seen the black variety in Hawaii and swear that they bite,though everything I've read claims otherwise!
Coleomegilla maculata
This one is a pink variety and is a different shape,but still a ladybug.
Types of ladybugs  

No comments:

Post a Comment