Friday, January 10, 2014

Straight From...

It seems fairly safe to say that most people operate on a rewards system,but other than childhood and work do these same people privately adhere to the system? I rely on the rewards system as my incentive for most things,although sometimes I am less than honest with myself when it comes reward time. I have no idea if this is normal and speaking of normal...most people talk to themselves whether they admit to it or not is another story. I not only talk to myself,I engage in debates which brings me to today's subject. During one of my running monologues I used the phrase "straight from the horse's mouth" which sent me in a new direction. I wanted to know how that idiom came about,are horses known to be the most honest animals? and if so why didn't I know that before? There are two possible origins. The first,and most likely is a horse's age can be determined by looking at the teeth,so if the horse's age was in doubt it could be confirmed straight from the horse's mouth. The second origin relates to horse racing and betting. If you were looking for a sure bet (no such thing,that's why it's called gambling!) you would go to someone close to the horse,such as a jockey or trainer. The second option seems apt to deliver a biased answer in my opinion,but hey! just telling you what I found!

No comments:

Post a Comment