Friday, June 26, 2015

Not Funny

When I first read about the National Disability Summit in Australia I thought it was humorous that they apparently  forgot to plan for anyone with disabilities to attend,but the more I thought about the over sight the more I understood it from the view point of a disabled person. How could the organizers expect to solve problems for the disabled if they couldn't even plan an event that included things like wheelchair access to the stage for the speakers,or tables that were low enough to be used by people in wheelchairs? I am not trying to single out Australia about this problem as it exists every where. I have mentioned in the past about airlines not offering toilets for the disabled and a person doesn't have to look to far in their own community to see how lacking some of the facilities are for the handicapped. In all fairness I have to admit that in some instances businesses go above and beyond for the handicapped where other businesses see fit to ignore the issue completely. Another thing to add to the long list of things that need fixing.
A speaker is helped by two people off the stage at the National Disability Summit.
Accessible toilet at conference

No comments:

Post a Comment