Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Novel Approach

Have you ever read any Jack Reacher novels? The author is Lee Child,which is actually a pen name for a British author,Jim Grant. I accidentally stumbled onto his novels thinking he was Lincoln Child. One of the things I find interesting is Reacher owns nothing,he travels by either bus or hitchhiking and only wears the clothes on his back and carries a toothbrush in his pocket. His logic is that by not having a home he pays no rent/house payments,no insurance or taxes. Same deal applies to having a vehicle. When his clothes get dirty he simply buys more and throws the soiled ones away. For food he eats in diners and inexpensive restaurants. He has a savings account and also takes odd jobs. According to the storyline he travels in this fashion because of his childhood and the continual moves of a military family which was reinforced by his own years in the Army.
It sounds like an adventurous life and I enjoy the stories,but after giving it some thought I don't think I would like the nomadic life style for long,I would sorely miss my creature comforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment