Sunday, April 7, 2013

Do You Solemnly Swear?

Although the debate continues on the origin of the word testify,temptation got the better of my judgement to include this "jewel".
The theory I prefer is that testify was derived from the ancient Roman custom of men holding their testicles with their right hand before giving testimony(kind of conjures up a vivid picture doesn't it?). The other side of the debate claims the word testify came from the Latin testis which means "third person standing by" or "witness". Again for the pro testicle side,as cited in the Bible,"And Abraham said: 'unto his eldest servant of his house...Put,I pray thee,they hand under my thigh and I will make thee swear" (this is supposed to translate to putting a hand on testicles,but the twisted way my mind works makes it sound like Abraham had something other than swearing on his mind!) Okay,I am probably going to hell for that thought...but at least I will be with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment