Tuesday, April 23, 2013

This Ain't No Party

I thought I had misunderstood when they announced a one-way mission to Mars yesterday on the news. Who would want to sign up for that,I thought? and why should humans go to live on another planet after nearly ruining this one? (Which might be reason enough in itself.) After looking into it more closely it sounds more like a pipe dream than anything that will come to be. The apparent plan is to have habitation units assembled by robotic rovers,once completed the humans will launch from Earth in 2022 and become residents of Mars 7 months later,to live and work out their lives. The entire mission depends on corporation funding to the amount of $6 billion. The permanent stay does solve the problem of how to get back to Earth,simply by not planning to return,but it isn't clear how the lives there will be sustained. I am definitely going to count myself out of this mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment