Saturday, April 6, 2013

Kiddie Coop

I ran across this photo on the back page of a magazine,there was no explanation only the caption "Baby Cage".
BabyCage2.jpg
Naturally I was intrigued but since I didn't have my trusty note pad handy, I forgot about it for a few days.
In 1922 Emma Read of Spokane,WA. filed for a patent for an enclosure to be suspended from the side of a building. The baby cage was meant for women living in cities without a backyard or other outdoor area for their children to play. Using the cage the baby would have access to fresh air and sunlight plus have room to play with toys. The patent also noted the cage could be used as a sleeping area with removable curtains to prevent a draft. There was also a slanted roof piece available to protect the babies from rain,snow or falling objects...Yikes! can you imagine seeing one of these in our time? Can you say "children's services"?
BabyCage1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment