Monday, March 17, 2014

Sounds Good...Except

Being a native Oregonian I was surprised to learn that Newberg,OR is home to a self-cleaning house. At first I thought,sign me up! but after thinking of some obvious flaws I'm not so sure. The self-cleaning house if built of cinder blocks and has maple floors protected with 10 coats of marine varnish, the floors slope slightly to corner drains. The rooms have nozzles mounted on the ceilings that spray a mixture of soap and water then rinse with clear water,after the wash cycle a blower drys the rooms,even dishes and laundry are done in the same cycle without any loading and unloading.The windows consist of the blocks turned sideways to allow light in,they are then sealed,some of the windows hold knick knacks and colored glass. Now for the drawbacks...all the furnishings have to be waterproof,so acoustically it wouldn't work well,plus where would that leave a person with an electronics fetish? Nope,I think on second thought I will stick with my old house. Sorry to say after considerable time searching I was unable to find any pictures of the house though there is a video that shows an interview with the woman that designed it recorded inside of the house, it doesn't show much of the house itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment