Friday, March 7, 2014

Sticky Situation

Occasionally I have posted lists of lesser known phobias,yet this one took me by surprise. Oprah suffers from this phobia, the fear of chewing gum,yes,you read that right! The technical name is Chiclephobia. Once you find out how she came to have this fear,it doesn't seem that weird. Her grandma used to collect gum (how weird is that?),I assume used gum,and keep it in rows on the family cabinet,it sickened Oprah and led to a lifelong fear. She is so repelled by gum chewing that it was banned at her television studio. I thought this phobia was way out there,then I realized I have the same phobia but a much milder case,I find it more annoying than scary. Some people look like a herd of bovines (nothing against cows mind you!) when they chew gum, but like a traffic accident or a TV that is on but you don't want to watch, chewing gum draws your attention especially when combined with gum snapping. I wonder how Oprah manages to walk on a sidewalk? Most everywhere I walk the sidewalks are permanently littered with gum.
Oprah-winfrey-phobia-of-gum-chewing

No comments:

Post a Comment