Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

I have nothing against spiders and don't understand why many people fear them,but I had no idea that there were show spiders and spider shows. The most prestigious,best attended and oldest (29th annual in 2014) is the British Tarantula Society Exhibition. This year it attracted over 30,000 tarantulas and their keepers from around the world. In case you're curious how to tell a show quality spider from a regular spider here are some guidelines: a glistening coat (freshly molted adults will look their best) coloring,correct proportions,alert and active,and stance,all eight legs should be upright and perfectly poised. I don't think there are any unusual spiders in this area but I have noticed that some spiders are a lot better looking than others,though I doubt I will be attending an exhibition in the near future.
Photo of a tarantula.

No comments:

Post a Comment