Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Lost List

I decided that today would be the day I dealt with the dreaded Christmas card ordeal,but when I went to get my list it wasn't there. It is a relatively short list but now extra effort will be needed to complete the task,so who knows? Maybe this is the year I will quit sending cards. That whole scenario set me to thinking about how it came to be that every year 1.6 billion cards are sent back and forth...to celebrate a dead guy's birthday?? Okay,relax, it is a little more than that but the story I found on how card exchanges originated goes something like this...
In England in the early 19th century British students away at school would send letters home to their parents around Christmas time boasting of their grades and how well they were doing in hopes of receiving gifts or money for the year's efforts. These letters home are thought to be the origin of the Christmas newsletters that are often included with modern cards. In 1839 in England after the introduction of the penny post the tradition of sending cards to friends and relatives developed and grew into the monster industry it is today.
first-christmas-card-02


No comments:

Post a Comment