Thursday, July 7, 2016

They Love Rock and Roll

Russia in the 1950s banned western music but that didn't stop the young Russian's desire for Bill Haley and the Comets "Rock Around the Clock" (and other tunes). One young engineering student sold blood regularly so he could save up for a lathe to make bootleg music with. The practice involved going through hospital trash to salvage the x-rays to record on. They called it bone music because of the bone images on the old x-rays. They were far from the ideal recording medium and didn't last long but the young music lovers were fulfilled none the less. When I first read about this practice I was surprised that it would work then I remembered when I was young paper thin sample records were sent in the mail,it seems like they were from magazines but I don't recall that part for sure.


Image result for bone musicImage result for bone music

Image result for bone music

No comments:

Post a Comment