Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sound Sleep?

As some of you know I am prone to vivid dreams,when I was younger I used to sleepwalk as well. I can't say for positive that I no longer sleepwalk,but I don't find grass and other debris in the bed,so I think I am over that. Neither of those two things are that unusual,but there is another called REM behavior disorder where the dreamer acts out their dreams which are often violent and if you think that it has never happened to you so you don't need to worry about it,here's more bad news! 90% of the people with this disorder are males and it usually strikes after age 50. It is possibly brought on by lesions in a part of the brain that normally inhibits motor activity during REM sleep. These are a few cases: A 77 year old minister behaved violently in his sleep,sometimes injuring his wife. A 60 year old surgeon would jump out of bed being chased by criminals,terrorist and monsters. A 62 year old war veteran dreamt of being attacked by enemy soldiers and fights back,sometimes injuring himself. A 57 year old retired school principal was punching and kicking his wife during vivid nightmares of protecting his family from people and snakes.
So when you go to bed tonight...sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment