Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Turning/Tuning

Often times I have no clue why a thought pops into my head,nor for that matter how it leads me down other seemingly unrelated paths with various twists and turns. I think of it as a good thing,that my mind can still go from 0-60 in relatively short order. This time all I can say for sure is I was thinking of how someone I knew always used the phrase "turning in" when they were going to bed. I bet with myself that the phrase came from the days when many people slept in the same bed and either it was their turn in or when they got into an already corwded bed it was similar to folding in ingredients into a recipe,so it was referred to as turning in. The bet is still pending as I haven't found a definitive answer,only one suggesting a nautical origin and nothing more. On the same page were many other "turns of phrase" that I hadn't been looking for including: turning tricks,turn the tables,turn a blind eye,turning the tide,turning the other cheek and turn in one's grave. The next thing I found myself thinking was a phrase by Timothy Leary from the 60s,"Turn on,tune in, drop out". Anyone that remembers the 60s can tell you what that meant...providing you find anyone that remembers the 60s!
Retro Sixties 60s Background Stock ImagesRetro Sixties 60s or Seventies 70s Background Stock ImagesVector seamless texture. 60s Stock Photo60s 1960s Retro Musical Music  Background Stock Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment