Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Spiders (Really!!)

As chance would have it after using "Spiders" as a blog title,I find myself actually wanting to write about spiders. A lot of people have a fear of spiders,I am not one of them. I subscribe to the adage,"If you want to live and thrive,let the spider run alive." Since I'm still alive it seems to be working! It makes me wonder about my cat's life though as he considers them big game,but with the nine life thing going on,he should be okay. In my nearly continual quest for unusual facts I came across spiders and other organisms named for famous people. I'm still trying to find out how some of these people (the living ones) feel about this somewhat dubious honor. For example,Aptostechias angelinajolieae,is a rather unattractive specimen named for the attractive Angelina Jolie. David Bowie had Heterpoda davidbowie,Neil Young myrmeklaphilia neilyoungi,Aptostichus stephincolberti for Stephen Colbert,Calponia harrisonfordi Harrison Ford (I think I read he has a big fear of spiders),Pachygnatha zappa,Frank Zappa. The list is quite extensive and personally (in most cases) I didn't notice any resemblances!
535ford550zappa

No comments:

Post a Comment