Saturday, September 14, 2013

Touchy Feely

The phrase "touch and go" came into my mind earlier today,and though most people know it to mean a risky,precarious situation,I couldn't help but wonder how it came into being. I had mostly heard it in relation to medical affairs but it actually dates to stagecoach days. The stagecoach drivers were often competitive and would attempt to pass one another on narrow roads at great risk. If the coaches wheels became entangled,they would both wreck,if they were lucky,the wheels would only touch and the coaches could still go. That scenario puts me in mind of people using the narrow roads in my neighborhood without giving thought to meeting other vehicles...it can get dicey especially on the hills and corners!
Western Stagecoach

No comments:

Post a Comment