Sunday, May 24, 2020

Paws for Effect

At the beginning of the month I did a post about a robotic dog who was patrolling areas in Shanghai to reinforce social distancing. I was okay with that since it kept another person out of the mix even though it was kind of creepy. Today I found out they are using the same model of robot to herd sheep in New Zealand and I'm not okay with that. First off there are perfectly good REAL dogs to do that work and they literally do for their keep,where as the robo dog costs as much to lease for a year as a new car and their batteries only hold a charge for 90 minutes,plus the dogs are faster (30 mph vs 3 mph) and are totally biodegradable unlike the robo dogs. The robotic dogs could be useful in situations that are hazardous to  humans like mining or the social distancing warnings but I see no reason to employ them where they don't do as good of a job as the tried and true way.



No comments:

Post a Comment