Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dumb Luck

I may have blogged about a similar item in the past,so even if it may sound a little repetitive there is new information about the hazards we faced as baby boomers.
We never had helmets for bike riding,or skating and I never knew anyone that was injured. We didn't even have seat belts in cars when I was a kid,never mind child safety seats. Kids would play outside all day long,sometimes even packing their own lunch,without adult supervision. I have no idea how old I was the first time I was left alone,but I am guessing pretty young. We climbed trees and prowled the woods never thinking anything bad was out there,human or animal. My sister and I used to pull the flowers off of foxgloves and suck the ends because they were sweet,never mind the foxglove contains digitalis. Today while reading an innocent sounding article I discovered yet another danger I never realized when I was out playing. That is the Oregon Newt,we would play with them for hours on end. From what I read today it is surprising I even lived until adulthood. The skin of the Oregon Newt has a poison called tetrodotoxin and a single newt has enough of this toxin to kill a hundred men. After today's discovery I am thinking I should get retroactive hazard pay just for being a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment