Thursday, June 14, 2012

An Equation for Every Occasion

I have never been very sharp when it comes to math,the basics don't present a problem and so far that is all I have needed in life. When it comes to equations you can count me lost. The surprising thing to me is the amount of equations,there numbers seem infinite or maybe that is just my math hangup talking.
The most bizarre one I have heard of is the Drake equation. In 1961 Frank Drake in preparation for a meeting of various types of scientists (which later became SETI) came up with an equation to predict how hard it was going to be to detect extraterrestrial life in our galaxy. From his equation many more arose that worked from different factors,and I am guessing here,but I bet from those equations more grew...This equation business is almost enough to give a person a headache! I can't help but wonder who foots the bill for all the people coming up with the equations,but on second thought I probably don't want to know.
N = R^{\ast} \cdot f_p \cdot n_e \cdot f_{\ell} \cdot f_i \cdot f_c \cdot L

No comments:

Post a Comment