Thursday, June 28, 2012

More Bows

Sometime back I did a blog about snowbows and why they didn't exist,at that time I was disappointed as I figured I just hadn't been lucky enough to witness one. I had never given a thought to a moonbow (also know as lunar rainbow,white rainbow,lunar bow,or space rainbow) it never occured to me that there would be enough light from the moon to produce anything like a rainbow. Moonbows are somewhat rare,but they do exist. They are faint due to the smaller amount of light reflected from the moon.
It is difficult for the human eye to see the colors of a moon bow as the light is to faint to excite the cone receptors in the eye,so they often appear white. Through a long exposure photograph the colors can be seen. The moon need to be full and low in the sky for a true moon bow to be produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment