Sunday, June 17, 2012

An Odd Rite

Gruesome may be a better word than odd to describe this custom,you can be the judge of that. When Thoroughbreds die the only parts that are buried are the head (to symbolize intelligence), the heart (to symbolize strength) and the legs ( to symbolize power). The rest of the body is cremated. I don't know about the rest of you,but if it were me I would rather be either cremated or buried and it doesn't seem like much of an honor to be dismembered after death. I looked around and couldn't find out how this tradition was started but it seems rather barbaric to me. Secretariat had the honor of being buried whole...makes you wonder what the other horses did to be undeserving.

Secretariat in 1973 Kentucky Derby.jpg
Secretariat winning the Kentucky Derby


No comments:

Post a Comment