Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Square Pegs/Round Holes

I have been rereading several of my Stephen King books and had forgotten some of the short stories he wrote that were set in the 1920s-30s. The slang terms he uses are ones most people are familiar with,but the one I have been chewing on is when someone get cooled with a heater...talk about a contradictory phrase! That brought me to today's blog,I thought it would be fun to revisit some of the slang of that era.
Abyssinia-means "I'll be seeing you" if you say it really fast that is what you hear.
Horn-telephone
Gat/rod/heater/convincer-gun
Cadillac-an ounce of cocaine or heroin (I wonder how they knew which they were ordering?)
Chicago typewriter/chopper-Thompson machine gun or Tommy gun.
City Juice/Dog Soup-a cup of water
Chicago overcoat-coffin
Abe's Cabe-$5 bill
Ace-$1
Baby Grand-heavily built man
Bimbo-tough guy (this one has done a 360!)

No comments:

Post a Comment