Monday, September 28, 2015

The Shuffle

Homelessness is a worldwide problem though most Americans seem to think it only happens after natural disasters or in war zones and that is simply not true. I live in a small town that has a homeless population,I have often wondered when new faces appear on the streets where they have come from,often they have mental impairments that prevent them from telling you their stories. I was prompted to try to find out more when a nice looking,polite but pretty far out of touch young man told me he was hungry a couple of days ago. I walked with him to McDonald's and bought him the #6 that he said he wanted. When I got home I did some research,what I found is reprehensible. Colorado and Nevada routinely buy one-way tickets for their homeless and send them off on the bus,solving their problem by sweeping it under the carpet. There are several cities in California that follow the same practice. Even St. Petersburg,FL has an agency that ships off their mentally disabled claiming they are sending them to relatives in other states. At least if they were to stay in Florida they wouldn't need to find warming shelters in the winter. My hope for today's post is to make people more aware of not only the homeless but the homeless that are mentally impaired,become aware of your environment,notice these people and accept there is a problem,then get to work on it.
nevada-greyhound

No comments:

Post a Comment