Sunday, September 20, 2015

Write Stuff

With all the controversy about whether cursive writing should be taught in schools I was a little surprised to learn that the White House employs a team (usually three people) of calligraphers. Don't get me wrong I am not finding fault with that I just assumed that all the lettering related tasks would be computer generated. I find it fascinating that calligraphy has not only survived in the nation's capital but that the team is kept so busy. Every place card is hand lettered,every envelope,programs,menus and I'm sure many more items I am overlooking. It just seems so proper in a world where no one pays attention to the details that make things more civilized that it makes a citizen feel proud to say they're a citizen.


No comments:

Post a Comment