Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Are Your Chances?

In yesterday's blog I mentioned that October is my birth month,so I thought today's blog would make an interesting segue.
1,500 people born between September-November from the years 1880-1895 were found more likely to reach their 100th birthday than the 12,000 siblings and spouse born at other times of the year that they were compared to. There are those researchers that believe there is significance in this study and those who feel it is irrelevant in our modern world. One explanation given for why the month of birth would affect how long someone lives is seasonal diseases. I'm not sure I understand how that would work,after all isn't autumn when cold/flu season starts? The explanation given for that question is babies who catch a cold in autumn will have greater immunity to such infections later on in life. Seasonal hormones fluctuations could also play a part.
When I first heard this I thought to myself,"would I want to live to be 100?" I have already lost several important people in my life and by that time surely the rest would be gone too,but that isn't all there is to living as I have found out through various stages of my life. Changes might not seem to your liking at first but they can sometimes turn out to be something better than what you thought you would be missing. So with that thought in mind,I will just roll with the punches as always and see where life takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment