Saturday, August 10, 2013

Raining On Parades

This is an instance where raining could easily  be changed for reining,or reigning and still make at least a little sense. It has been a thought of mine for some time that not everyone loves a parade,and I think there are a lot of people that wouldn't contest that statement. In fact I don't think kids much like parades other than for gathering the candy that is thrown,most of them look bored and seem crabby,but I can't say for sure about that. Today is an annual parade event here,The Regatta. I couldn't even tell you why they have it anymore as the interest in sailing that used to be part of the event is barely apparent today (there were 3 sailboats on the river). I think the last parade I attended was Mardi Gras in 1999,and though I went to many parades and caught many throws it was pretty much crowded, drunken chaos which isn't to say it wasn't fun! Back to the parade here...until several years ago the day of the parade would come and rather than having the parade route on parallel streets they would send it down the main thoroughfare,which is also a US HWY. I know that sounds crazy but this town has been under the same basic leadership for at least a century. Not to say that the people making the decisions are 100 years old but that they are all from the same "good ole boy" school of thought and reluctant to make any changes no matter how logical. So if you are a local whenever there is a parade event taking place that day, a person plans their day so as not to have to go into the downtown area within several hours either side of the event,that is up to and including death as to get an ambulance through that mess would not be an easy job.
7-5-13 astoria 1.1.jpg

1 comment:

  1. So funny. I had that very experience today when I was trying to run down to get some paint thinner today ...QUICKLY....
    I had to run the back route, (thankfully , there WAS a back route)
    and narrowly missed getting caught in the parade.

    ReplyDelete